My Thoughts on Life and Family and Where Every Stitch is a hope, a dream, a smile, a prayer, a good thought.

Thursday, June 21, 2007

We Got Walls!!!

Since my last post lots has been happening. On Tuesday, the concrete footers were filled with concrete and a huge shipment of blocks and cement was delivered to my front lawn and side of the house a/k/a, the "hole". I would have taken pictures of the concrete footings which was just a square of concrete all around the bottom of the hole, but we got torrential rain. Lucky for me, my DH, BIL and good friends put in pumps in the hole to drain any water that would accumulate there. It was all good. Yesterday morning, the stone mason started building the walls for my basement. Again, I would have taken pictures, but I never got to it. But in reality, the pictures would only be 4 rows shorter than they are now. So without further ado, here is the latest progress on our addition. Like I said, we got walls!!! :)

Here is a picture I took from the back. The wood frames you see are going to be windows for ventilation.

This next picture shows where the door will be. Notice there is dirt there. That is underneath my house. Supposedly, it is going to be dug out by DH, BIL and our good friend this weekend. It will break through the house and into the crawl space. Then support beams, etc. will be put into place and then at some point, the wall in the laundry room will be broken through to lead down stairs. It doesn't make sense to me as this stuff is not in the house as of yet. LOL It is very hard to picture in my mind but DH knows what he is doing (I hope :) ).
This next picture is just a closer view of the basement. This is as close as I could get without falling between the walls and the dirt. Since the rain this week, the ground surrounding the hole and new walls is very soft and has been giving way. But at least it gives you an idea of what it looks like.


Again, this is just a view from the side since you saw a picture of what it used to look like. This is what it now looks like.
This is now what my front lawn looks like. It is one big mess. I am so sure some of my neighbors are not happy. We have gotten a few comments. But it is not like I am throwing trash on my lawn to rot for eternity. I have the permits and the inspector to prove that this is only temporary. I have been trying to catch the inspector but he has been coming at like 6 AM every morning this week. I wanted to ask if there have been any complaints. I am not stressing about it but you should know some of my neighbors. You probably have a few of these people in your neighborhood. :)


And for those of you who are calling me brave and calm, please know it is not me. I have been having quite a few talks with the Blessed Mother. She has been hearing my voice a lot lately and she is keeping me in check. :) I think she has lots to do with my calmness right now.

Well this has been an up to the minute report of our house addition. I can't believe I actually posted these pictures as soon as I took them.
In other news, I did NOTHING at home today. I ran to the grocery store and on the way home I saw the Hair Cuttery was empty. I came home, got DD ready and off we went to get her haircut. An hour and a half later and I have a brand new DD. She looks absolutely adorable with her new do. Then DS wanted me to take him and his friends to the mall. So I picked up said friends, went to the mall, had lunch with DD and walked around mall, came back around 3 and just now finally got to sit down. Tomorrow is a whole other story. I am not leaving this house til my laundry and housework is finished. I already warned the kids. :)
Have a great evening everyone!

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Von said...

There will simply be days where all you do is run around, other days it's answering the phone! That's why we're taking the trailer out for the weekend to get away from all that, lol!

Great progress on your addition!

12:35 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

I'm really enjoying the progress pictures, Mia. I'm sure that the process is a headache, but when it's done, you'll have so much room you won't know what to do with yourself!

7:32 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Wow! It is really coming along.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Felicity said...

We haven't had a kitchen for 75+ days as we do the renovation jig too. Be aware, prayer to the Blessed Virgin Mary works only so well (tongue in cheek) - the best actions are being nice to the workers & readiness to ply them with tea, biscuits & then at the end of the day, a cold, cold beer.

Just remember when you reach the "I can't take any more!" stages that there are completed houses all over the neighbourhood. One day again soon, yours will be one of them.

Have fun! Hugs

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing photos of your addition which looks like it will be a nice space in the end. I wouldn't worry about the neighbors too much, since they see what you are doing and know it's not a major renovation. Can't wait to see interior shots someday soon.
If you need any kitchen remodel hints, just ask.
Take care!

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home